Saturday, July 14, 2012

Just How Much Can You Earn?

The second mystery shopping question that I am consistently being asked (right after being queried, “Is this a scam or what?”) is with regards to how much money can be made via mystery shopping. Obviously this will depend on a variety of factors, including the following:

·      Geographical Location

·      Time Commitment

·      Willingness To Travel

·      Number Of Mystery Shopping Companies You Join
Now, keep in mind that very few people do this as a career. In fact, I am a freelance writer by trade and only mystery shop to supplement my income and get out of the house when writer’s block renders my mind a blank slate. To give you a very specific idea of my experience, following is a typical day, week, and month. I have pulled this information from my very detailed Mystery Shopping Log, which I have been diligent in maintaining since the very beginning of this adventure. Your results may vary, but I believe that I am a fairly average mystery shopper and you can likely expect very similar outcomes yourself.


May 2, 2012
TOTAL: $48

This day I did five assignments, including a fast food lunch, hockey supply shop, two shipping companies, and a telephonic survey. The total time I spent mystery shopping on this day was approximately, 2-1/2 hours and that included drive time.


May 6, 2012 – May 12, 2012
TOTAL: $256.55

During this week I did a total of 17 assignments. Some of these assignments included a plumbing supply shop, major home improvement store, a national resale shop, a clothing store and a great brunch with my family at a very popular and upscale location.

May 2012
TOTAL: $1,000.30

I ended up doing a total of 69 shops this month. Some of these assignments (besides the aforementioned locations) included a local coffee shop, electronics store, smoothie shop, bowling alley, office supply store, movie theater, and an overnight stay at a five star resort.

1 comment:

  1. Your personal statistics were very interesting to me as they helped me imagine myself doing this. And it sounds fun. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete